This Page

has been moved to new address

Moving In Stilettos: Becoming A Legal Pennsylvania Driver...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Moving In Stilettos: Becoming A Legal Pennsylvania Driver...

Philly is quite *ahem* interesting when it comes to vehicles and drivers' licenses.  Last week, I finally headed to the DMV in neighboring Montgomery County to get a Pennsylvania License and a Pennsylvania Car Registration... The one day I was planning on going, well, it was a madhouse because Jon sans Kate was to appear in court and Norristown was crawling with those lovely vermin known as paparazzi... So I decided to table it until the end of the week and went to face the music.

First of all, the DMV requires your Social Security card, birth certificate, two bills to show that you do, indeed, live there and your first born.  Well, I'm kidding about the first born but it felt like that - I was about to hand over Wiggy if they asked for anything else.  I went through the hoops, brought the requisite paperwork and $28 dollars and one bad photo and I was holding a temporary license with the official one headed my way in 10 days.

Then, off to a "Tag Agency" to get the plates - oy vey.  While they tell you to register your car within 20 days of moving to the city, they tell you that you have to get a Pennsylvania license within 60 days after establishing residency.  HOWEVER, you can't get Pennsylvania plates WITHOUT having a Pennsylvania license or ID.  So, which came first the chicken or the egg?

Well, I had a duplicate title, I was told by the Tag Agent that perhaps I'd have to pay sales tax because the title wasn't 6 mo. or older.  HELLO - Florida TAKES the title and I lost it.  I understand that but hot damn - it's not rocket science.  I finally said "Fine, I'll pay the tax if I have to but seriously, how stupid are the state workers".  Then I remembered having to deal with some state workers and it all made sense.  Apparently it's the same in all states - laziness abounds when you work for the government.  Thankfully, the agent saw my reasoning and highlighted it for the idiot in Harrisburg that would have to process the paperwork so there was no confusion - I bought the car in 2001, move to Florida in 2002 and I was NOT paying sales tax.  Period...

Finally, now the piece de resistance - the car inspection.  Thankfully, before I moved down here, David Maus Toyota went through the car top to bottom and did a HELL OF A JOB getting it "inspection readY".  That will take a whole 'nother post because of the lovely bug issue.  Anywho - Rifleman told me to go visit one of his buddies to get the car inspected but I couldn't remember the name for the life of me.  Instead, I went to this place down the street and, after 45 minutes of Nick's Auto Body inspecting EVERYTHING, I have new shiny stickers on my car saying I have the right to drive in Pennsylvania for the next year.  They even told me that the car was in excellent shape thanks to David Maus Toyota and crew!!!

So, it's official - I'm a Pennsylvania gal and so is the Cougar.  However, never again will I move across state lines - too many hoops.  And, yes, I've got the car title and the social security card in a safe place.


Posted by Lys :: 10:19 PM :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------