This Page

has been moved to new address

Adventures in Coffee: Getting Close...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Adventures in Coffee: Getting Close...

Throughout my 36 long years, I really haven't gotten the hang of making coffee. Most of the time it's too strong, too weak, too swill-y for my tastes. I'm the Goldilocks of the coffee bean y'all. There are cops and detectives who make better coffee than me. Basically Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts can rest easy. They aren't in danger of losing my business for some time (I think).

Under the Christmas Tree was a Coffee/Espresso machine that I've been gawking at for a while. Now, I know - you ask "Why need a coffee machine if you can't make coffee, Lys". I had a lovely coffee machine provided by Gevalia but it's 3 years old and never made a decent cup of coffee. (Because clearly, it's the coffee machine's fault, not mine, right?) Plus, I have ruined a few stovetop espresso makers because I run them through the dishwasher, leave them on the stove too long - not enough, etc. Coffee machines are ready to unite and get a restraining order if I kept on my current path.

So this machine serves a dual purpose - coffee for those mornings that I just don't feel like running to the 'Bucks, standing in line and paying $4.69 for a venti iced nonfat pumpkin spice latte and espresso for those lazy Sunday brunches where I feel like playing hermit, cleaning my house, doing the laundry and catching up on the TiVo.

On New Years Day I gave the coffee side a whirl and, shocker of all shockers, it wasn't swill. It wasn't perfect but definitely had me going back for a cup and then making iced coffee with the leftovers.



Today, for my lazy Sunday brunch, it was espresso time. I was making my egg sandwich extraordinaire (1 egg with Herbs de Provence, Emeril's essence, salt, pepper, slice of cheese, slice of rosemary ham and a touch of ketchup on toasted onion roll) and decided that I needed to try to use my Nigella Lawson capucchino cups that I have NEVER used. They've been neglected in my cabinets and needed a little lovin'. So, out came the espresso (Fresh Market -of course!), my new tamperer to tap that espresso grind correctly (thanks Crate & Barrel) and off I was playing barista. The espresso was brewed and, shocker - it wasn't swill. It still wouldn't make Starbucks quake in fear but it was good enough to sate me where I don't think 'Bucks and I will have a date today - well, unless I go shopping for my Grammy dress. And my wallet should breathe a sigh of relief because if I can get the hang of this, those evening coffee runs might be few and far between.


There's hope yet!

Labels: , ,


Posted by Lys :: 12:41 PM :: 2 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------