This Page

has been moved to new address

Making Some Changes...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Making Some Changes...

A few weeks ago, SL got on my case to try something new - Organic Milk. My wallet screamed to high holy hell, but for some reason, he was right. The coffee didn't taste as bad, I actually found myself looking forward to cereal and I found that when I cooked with it, the food tasted a wee bit better. (Or perhaps that's just my ego justifying the $3.89 price tag for a half gallon.) Not to mention, it lasted longer. When I would buy milk from Albertsons or Publix, it would go bad days earlier than it should. Not good. So with the Organic Milk, it worked out well for me.

The other day, I saw an article on MSN.com about The Dirty Dozen: Top 12 Foods To Eat Organic. I remember my father would "discuss" with me the benefits of buying organic veggies because of the pesticides but my opinion was "Hell - it hasn't killed me in 36 years, I'm fine". Now, after reading that article and noticing a couple other things, I found myself somewhat grossed out about various pesticides and my mind was running rampant over what chemicals I was inadvertantly exposing myself, my family and friends to. I often buy many of the vegetables that they referenced and now I'm trying to find out what I can cut back on so as to allow for the expense of organic tomatoes, beef, celery, peppers and fruit. And also, I'm trying to find a way to buy more economically and less impulse, including planning my meals for the week.

In the long run, I think it will be better. I find myself not getting sick as easy (except for that flu crap). I'm not having "attacks" where I feel like my side is getting stabbed repeatedly. I suffered from that for years and I would avoid raw tomatoes and all things seeded which seemed to trigger the attacks. Just recently in the past year, I've been craving fresh tomato and the damage has been minimal at best. Knowing that I can have tomatoes that are pesticide free is somewhat intriguing to me. (Because I adore a PLT (Panchetta, Arugula Lettuce & Tomato) Sandwich.)

Also, it means more shopping at The Fresh Market and less at Publix. Going to Whole Foods here is like taking one's life in their hands. The amount of people who drive crazy going to the plastic surgeon on every corner in Winter Park is too much. It makes Boston driving look like a lazy Sunday drive. I'm also going to see if the Farmers Market is in or around the Orlando/Altamonte Area. If we don't take care of our health, who will - right?

And don't EVEN get me started about what I was told about not drinking the water or cocktails in restaurants that have the lemons & limes in them or anything from a bar tray. That's way too gross for me to leave you with the visual.

Labels: , , ,


Posted by Lys :: 1:47 PM :: 3 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------