This Page

has been moved to new address

A Night Out Equals Quite The People Watching Experience…

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Night Out Equals Quite The People Watching Experience…

Last night, I headed out to meet up with CK and our friend LM for her birthday soiree.  One of the freestyle artists from back in the day was headlining and I figured I’d hook up with a bunch of friends who told me that they would be in attendance and have some fun.  As a sign of support, I bought a ticket as CK was promoting the event rather than call the artist directly and be put on his guest list.  See, for me to pay for a freestyle show is EXTREMELY rare – I’ve paid my dues, I still consult for PR from time to time and I’m pretty laid back about it.  I’m not  being arrogant, just truthful.

The show was $30 and before you go “Lys, what were you thinking paying $30 for a show where XYZ was performing” and I reasoned it this way:

This $30.00 tix was for open bar, appetizers and parking was free.  Sure it was 30+ min. away but it was CK’s event therefore I’d ALWAYS show my support, regardless. 

Well, when I got there, pretty much out of our group only CK and LM were in attendance.  There was someone else from the show but I didn’t see her.  Other ones that said that they’d be there were no shows.  Really seriously disappointing but I understand that we are in a recession and they had conflicts.  They should have just been upfront about it.

Driving into the club parking lot, I knew this was going to be quite the interesting night as I took in the long parking lot that was quickly filling up.  Parked next to me, it was like a girl from East L.A. moved to the East Coast, totally chola style with the poof hair, the dark lip liner, the overly exaggerated brows and a look that would slit your throat in a heartbeat.  Her boyfriend decided to strip in the parking lot to change his shirt and it was like the premiere episode of the Biggest Loser (and I'm not being mean – just giving you a visual that I was eternally scarred with).  On the walk in, you had 3 drunk boys holding a gallon juice jug and swigging from it as they staggered into the club cat-calling at everyone, including yours truly.  Drunk boys got the sideeye from me and were told “Have a good night munchkins!”.  They got into the club and started fighting with the doorbitch that they REFUSE to pay full price.  Inside the club, as I quickly made my way to the back, I glanced around at the study in ages.  You had the older older crowd that were in the midst of a mid-life crisis, hitting on the young cubs and cubettes.  You had some much older men grinding on women on the dance floor.  You had my generation, some of which still are stuck in the 80s fashion.  You had the wanna be cast members of the Jersey Shore, all about GTL and fist pumping.  There was an explosion of aquanet everywhere and I just was in amazement.  I was praying for Clinton & Stacey to burst into the club and correct the insane amount of fashion horror that was everywhere.

One thing about me and clubs is that I will always feel like I’m working, promoting a record/artist/etc.  and, yes, I did a bit of networking.  However, I can’t stay out as long as I used to and as I was headed back to Manayunk, I wondered if someone watched me back in the day with my crew and thought the same thing about me.  However, I’m comforted in knowing that I at least wouldn’t have seriously offended Clinton & Stacey – and at least I could walk in my stilettos.

Labels: ,


Posted by Lys :: 5:42 PM :: 1 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------