This Page

has been moved to new address

One in a Million...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

One in a Million...


Every April 4, I try to take a few moments to reflect back on the past year or so, and be grateful for the friendships and success that I have experienced as well as try to think how I can be a better person. They always say that people you meet through time leave a lasting impression on a person, and there is one person who, in particular, left one of those impressions - my friend Justine. On April 4, 1990, Justine passed away from Neuroblastoma at the young age of 19.

Justine was someone who was just amazing - kind, thoughtful, never had a bad word to say (unless you REALLY got her ticked - which was rare) and a true genuine person. Even when she was sick, she never wanted to trouble people and would act like she was fine. One memorable thing that happened to her before she passed was that one of our producers actually got her to meet the New Kids on the Block, her absolute FAVORITE group. Unfortunately, she had less than a year from when she was diagnosed to when she passed. When Justine died, I was 17 at the time and her death profoundly affected me.

The day we met, she told me that someday she was going to be Miss America. I remember walking into the studio on my first day, encountering one of the more popular "couples" fighting and Justine pulled me to the side, giggled, rolled her eyes, and whispered "They are always like this". Knowing that I was new, combined with the fact I was nervous as all hell, she took the time to make the set less intimidating and I was able to chill out and relax.

Whenever I saw her, it was like no time had passed and just would catch up and gossip on set. Not to mention, she was one of the ones who taught me how to pouf my hair into the proper 80's high hair format and would stress the importance of rhinestones & stilettos *LOL* Oh lordy - the fashion choices we all made back then. We loved the same groups (except New Kids - I couldn't stand those guys) and when it came to movies - she adored the movie Dirty Dancing and Madonna - puleaze - girl could lipsync every one of the Material Girl's songs. Justine's friendship was unwavering and, when I was going through drama with my parents, she was there for me. Let's not even talk about the phone bill - damn that was high.

So, when she died, I felt the loss. It wasn't the first time I had a friend die, but Justine - I asked for years, "Why Her?" To this day, I always feel a tinge of regret for being a teenager and the stupid choices I made, one of which was getting grounded for sneaking away to Philly on a weekend. I got caught on the train by my father and was grounded for 6 months. By being grounded, I couldn't go back to Philly for the funeral and my mother refused to budge on that point.

When I went to Philly during college, I was able to spend some time with her family. It was during that time, her sister gave me a package from Justine with a photo and some poems that Justine wrote and framed before she passed. I treasure that and both the photo and the poems are one of the first things I see in the morning, reminding me to value each and every day that we are given.

When it comes to charities, St. Jude is one of my favorites because of their great work with Neuroblastoma patients. Unfortunately, Justine was diagnosed at 19 when most people are diagnosed between the ages of 1 and 5. The odds were against her. I think in today's day and age, with the great strides that they have made, things might have been different for her, but God needed her then. Only He knows why but, during her time here on earth, she was an positive role model for everyone.

Justine is one of those people that can be described as "One in a Million". I cherish her memory and our friendship and, if I am only one tenth of a person that she was, then I think I have done pretty damn well.

Labels: , ,


Posted by Lys :: 7:33 PM :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------