This Page

has been moved to new address

Culinary School Need Not Await My Application...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Monday, January 21, 2008

Culinary School Need Not Await My Application...

I have a super sensitive stomach. At the first hint of "funk" for lack of a better term, I know it's not even going to be a pleasant evening and I better have a Plan A, Plan B or Plan C.

With the power outtage the other day, I have no clue how long the fridge was off. I had done the major grocery shopping the evening before with the onset of the holiday weekend because I had NO intention of emerging from my hermit status due to the impending hell that awaits me come tomorrow. I had plans for attempting the Pancheros' version of Corn Salsa because, my god, I could just order that and nothing else and be a happy wench. Oh. My. God that stuff is nirvana. Of course there is no recipe online and every version of "Corn Salsa" seems different.

SO, this evening, realizing that I better make the daggone salsa because I was going to make baja chicken quesadillas for dinner, I got to my Jeckyll and Hyde lab aka the kitchen. I had bought fresh corn at Costco in anticipation of my experiment. I bought Cilantro, hunted high and low for a not gross red onion (side note - am I wrong or are the red onions of late pretty daggone gross. Next time you are going grocery shopping, stop by produce and take a look), picked up some celery and limes (and lime juice in a green squeeze bottle - if it's good for Nigella, dammit, then it's good for me). After the power went back on Saturday, I went out and bought more supplies, i.e. Milk, flat leaf parsley, a jalapeno pepper (my first) and a few other things (like that cannolli but I couldn't say no. Damn shopping on an empty stomach).

You still here? Good - OK - I'll get on with the story and less of the backgrounder. I flipped through my arsenal of cookbooks - all of which tell me different things - frozen corn v. fresh corn. I figure - it's corn - c'mon - it's not rocket science. So I boil some water and toss in the corn. 4/5 min. later, I pull them out and shock them in cold water. Out comes my knives and off I go cutting the kernels away from the cob. Then, I taste one - there was no fakin' the funk. That corn was far from good - they were going bad and fast.

:::sigh:::

Into my fully stocked pantry I went and I couldn't find a can of corn ANYWHERE. I don't keep frozen corn on hand, pretty much because there's no room in the inn. (I know I know - I need to see a therapist about having a fully stocked fridge, freezer & pantry at all times). I moved a few more cans around and *boom* ONE can of summer corn. Plan B is in force.

I rinsed the corn off, popped it in the micro for 2 min. and I was back in experiment mode (all while fighting Shadow the sous chef because she heard can opener and clearly, if I'm opening a can it should be for her, right?) I again referred to a few recipes and figured, "Let's just make it the logical way" and tried to remember the ingredients in the salsa I loved so much.

I chopped 3 tbs. of cilantro (too much), 1 tbs. of parsley, 1/2 a red onion, 2 tbs. of lime juice, and 1/2 a jalapeno pepper - hell I'm a wimp, 'k? and into the bowl all the ingredients went. Then I tossed in a tbs. of olive oil and it's pretty daggone close to the Panchero version. Another squirt of lime juice and I deemed it complete.

But now that it's in the fridge chillin' - I remembered, I forgot the salt. :::sigh:::

And this is why I'm a cook and NOT a chef.

UPDATE: And while I was flippin' the onions and chicken in the saute pan ala Bobby Flay, the fates hit me upside the head and next thing I know, burnt quesadilla. Batting 1000 here *LOL*, but combine it with the sour cream and corn salsa - so what if it's crunchy *LOL*


Labels: , , ,


Posted by Lys :: 6:37 PM :: 2 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------