This Page

has been moved to new address

The Reappearance of the Cooking Mojo...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Reappearance of the Cooking Mojo...

Friday afternoon, I left the 9to5 early and was able to drop by my fave farm stand: Maters & Taters. I departed with my normal veggies, but added a few extras into the mix (fresh ginger, some asparagus, butternut squash, etc.) See, I have a problem where I will do the food shopping, but when I get home from work, I'm dead drained tired and the last thing I feel like doing lately is whipping up a culinary masterpiece. Either lately I've been doing takeout, grabbing a Lean Cuisine or making something simple, like a sandwich. I know I know. I have a gorgeous kitchen, have my pots and pans and knives which I had to have (and I could have bought those CL shoes with the cost of everything) and hell, let's not even go into the appliances I *had* to buy when I moved into this lovely abode.

I have shamed the cooking gods. Seriously, the Food Network should just ban me from watching because no matter how much I want to cook, I just can't find the get up and gumption to do it. There has been no pep in my step.

Well, that was until tonight. See, Michelle talked about a lovely sauce she made the other day and that inspired me to pick up a batch of mini plum tomatoes from Maters & Taters. I'm not a fan of the jarred sauce. I will use it in a pinch, but most of the time, I prefer to make my own (and my vodka sauce is delish! Trust me on that one!). Not bad for an Irish wench, huh? I joke that I must have been Italian in a former life as I'm a huge fan of anything Italian: shoes, pasta, spices, handbags, art, men, etc. I actually want to go to Italy on a future vacation. Who knows what can happen. But I digress.

Tonight, on the drive home (I got out around 6ish), I figured "eehhh.. let me just pick up something on the way home". Then I thought "eeehhhh... I don't want to cook - I'm tired"... then I remembered that the tomatoes might go bad if I don't get my crap together. See I'll buy something and then don't use it at times. It's a waste, I know but I have this emotional thing where I have to have a full pantry and fridge. Flashback to the whole divorce debacle, I guess. But back to the problem at hand.

Well, I did go pick up something - my Dunkin' Donuts hazelnut iced coffee - 2 of 'em (1 for the morning and 1 for tonight), a muffin for the a.m. drive (pumpkin muffins - yum!) and figured "ENOUGH LAZINESS LYS! TIME TO COOK". So with that, I prepared to enter the kitchen. I washed the dishes, cleared off the cooking area, put a pot of water on the stove to boil, and then got to work.

I was too lazy to go look up Michelle's recipe but remembered enough for a little variation. I preheated the oven to 425, covered a baking sheet with tinfoil and sprayed it with olive oil, washed the pint of plum tomatoes (which turned out to be perfectly ripe), tossed the tomatoes with a bit of EVOO, salt & pepper and popped them into the oven for about 12 min. until they began to burst. Then, I took the tomatoes out, let them rest for about 5 minutes while I took two garlic cloves, the cooled tomatoes, a bit of dried oregano and basil, salt, pepper and a bit of hot pepper flakes for a dash of heat into my NEVER USED food processor (had to have, never broke it in), pulse the above for a little bit, stream in some more olive oil, pulse again and viola! Fresh Roasted Tomato Sauce...


While I was whirring the sauce, my water was boiling some 5 cheese ravioli that I had the in freezer (gotta love Costco) and then it was time for plate assembly.

Ladle a bit of sauce on the bottom ala Emeril style, gently spoon the pillows of pasta-y goodness onto the plate, ladle a bit more sauce and BAM!

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present, 5 Cheese Ravioli with Roasted Tomato Diablo Sauce... Thanks Michelle!

Labels: ,


Posted by Lys :: 9:22 PM :: 3 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------