This Page

has been moved to new address

Larry King - Journalist? Surely You Jest...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Larry King - Journalist? Surely You Jest...

We'll get back to the fluff in a bit, promise - I'll even make this a three post day.. but I am heated and on a soapbox of sorts...

Riddle Me This: What. The. Heck. does Britney Spears and Paris Hilton and Mitt Romney have to do with JOEL OSTEEN?? I watched Larry King Live last night (well the last 45 min.) and, while I don't really talk about politics or religion much on this blog, last night I sat there watching Larry King interview Joel and Victoria Osteen and slowly my blood went from simmer to boil.

Like I've said before, I'm not a super fan of the TV preacher phenom., mostly because of my family's dealings with Jim Bakker back in the day. I'm very skeptical about that whole "send money" brouhaha that preachers tend to employ. As I was raised Catholic, I've been leery of the Church due to their refusal to confirm me because my parents wouldn't use the daggone envelopes for tithing. I believe in tithing, however due to the Catholic Church Confirmation Catastrophe of 1988, I've taken to making my tithing to charities that I believe in and support such as St. Jude's Children Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, and some cancer, AIDS and burn charities. I feel that God knows and is cool with my decision. I'm not going to support a preacher who drives a Rolls, has a fancy schmancy house that the church pays for, etc. That is just not me. However, some time ago, I happened to catch Joel Osteen on TV and liked his message. I've read his book and, in my opinion, he's pretty good. And, get this, he didn't ask for money during his telecast. That floored me. So what if its gospel lite - for church on Sunday mornings, I watch Joel Osteen and, until the Catholic Church and I get on the same page, I'm content with that.

Before I get all preachy (which I'm far from), I have to say this: Larry King - WHAT THE HECK??? I know the TV market thrives on ratings. I know inflammatory questions are the cheap shot to get a quote which could invariably be taken out of context. However, I don't understand how asking Joel Osteen his thoughts on Britney Spears and Paris Hilton is relevant to today's world. I don't understand how it's relevant to the promotion of his book. I also don't understand the logic behind your attempt to get Joel to talk about Mormonism or even Mitt Romney. I know Larry has a personal interest in Mormonism and, in part, Mitt Romney's possible Republican nod (don't even THINK I would EVER vote for that cat - No Way No How). From what I've heard, Larry's umpteenth wife is Mormon.
What I don't get is how does Joel Osteen even FIGURE into anything on Mitt Romney? What Larry King SHOULD have asked is Joel's opinion on ALL of the candidates, not just single Mitt out.

Well, you can gather that Larry King is not my favorite. I will watch on Thursday for the Bill Cosby show to see if he asks Bill the same hard hitting questions then Larry King Live will be BANNED from my Tivo. I wonder - if Larry King had the Speaker of the House on, one might guess his line of questioning could contain "Ms. Pelosi: What is your view on Britney Spears? Do you think Paris Hilton found God in prison? Do you think Mitt Romney will win the presidential election?" blah blah blah...

Basically, the interview left me with a bitter view on Larry King Live and CNN in general. Journalists are supposed to be unbiased and not perpetrating their own agendas. Clearly, Larry King does not follow this process. And, for that, I have lost any and all respect I had for Larry King. Clearly, in my opinion, after watching the roadshow I saw last night, I think Howard Stern might have a bit more integrity...

You can watch some of the interview if you like
HERE.

Labels:


Posted by Lys :: 4:57 PM :: 2 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------