This Page

has been moved to new address

Whatta Group... Salt N Pepa Returns...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Whatta Group... Salt N Pepa Returns...

I bought my very first hip hop cassette tape at the age of 15. I remember it vividly - it was "Hot Cool & Vicious", the debut album from of a group called Salt N Pepa. I remember that album like it was yesterday – they had a track called “The Showstopper” that I heard on the college radio station in W. Mass and it was (and still is) one of my favorites. “The Showstopper” was an answer to Doug E. Fresh’s track, “The Show” and when their album came out, I remember going to this music store, Main Music, in Springfield, where my buddy Hexy worked and I picked up that cassette tape which I wore OUT. Here were these strong women that were not putting up with anyone’s crap and fighting for their own in the hip hop scene. Unheard of. They paved the way for many female rap artists nowadays and, imo, are pioneers.

Now I know there was drama back in the day when “Push It” came out, but you got to admit – that song can pack a dance floor. Salt N Pepa were on the front lines when they put out the single, “Let’s Talk About Sex” because really, back then, not a whole lotta talkin’ was going on. Then they did the song with En Vogue “Whatta Man”, and another favorite of mine, “Expression”, and “Shoop” and … let me shush.

To this day, if I do want to listen to hip hop, I prefer the old school – old school in terms of Salt N Pepa, LL Cool J, etc. over some of the newer ones on the scene (actually I rarely listen to hip hop nowadays and prefer some good R&B). If you checked my iTunes, you would see almost every Salt N Pepa album on there. With as many acts as I have met or shows I have attended, I can say I NEVER saw Salt N Pepa live. Never, never never.

Where I grew up, rap concerts were pretty much frowned upon and, the one rap concert I attended as a teen gave my parents some cause for alarm. If I remember correctly, there were a couple stabbings in the arena, someone was shot outside of the venue and I had no idea of what was going on with the others around me. Pretty much, I was a 15 year old kid takin’ photos for a Junior Achievement Teen Magazine, interviewing the artists and very blasé about the whole mess. I had no idea that some of those acts would pave the way for music artists today. Some of the artists at that show were The Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Doug E. Fresh and a few others that I can’t remember. I do remember Salt N Pepa were NOT on that bill. If I knew then what I knew now, I think my interview questions would have been more poignant.

OK – enough memory lane. Well, Mr. TiVo gets a raise today – why, because it taped
Salt N Pepa’s appearance on TYRA. You can catch it HERE. They were on TYRA promoting their new VH1 show, which starts next week. I am ecstatic. The gals talked about the breakup, Salt’s eating disorder (who knew??), and even Spinderella was on the show. And then there was a kickazz performance but I can’t find it online yet.

So, being that it’s pretty much Friday, you know what I’ll be playin’ in the car tomorrow…



Here's a preview from their new show:

Labels:


Posted by Lys :: 11:21 PM :: 1 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------