This Page

has been moved to new address

Broadway Goes Blonde...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Just Because...
Just Because...

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Broadway Goes Blonde...

How many people caught Legally Blonde the Musical on TV this weekend?

I don't like to admit this much, but I love live theater, especially musicals. No, don't take my temperature. I'm fine, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Perhaps it's all those school musicals I was in through school. Perhaps it's the stage productions I did makeup for in college. Any way you look at it - there is something magnificent about a really well done stage production.

My parents took me to New York often as a child, and I remember it was there I saw De Niro's brilliant acting in Cuba and His Teddy Bear (hey - Ralph Macchio was in the show which was my sole motivation then. Now, I truly appreciate the opportunity to see De Niro on stage), got mortified in front of Patrick Cassidy when we went to go see Leader of the Pack, and saw A Chorus Line before it closed. Even now, I still miss my days of going to see great theater.


So tonight, I had a flashback when I saw Legally Blonde The Musical. I approached this with a stage of skepticism and thought "a film to a musical"?? I had to remember to throw out any previous memories of the film and approach it as a new production. All in all, I thought it was pretty well done. The same themes were in both the movie and stage production, and the soundtrack was beyond fabulous. Even more interesting was the character, Paulette. I heard her sing and thought "hmmm... I KNOW that voice". Turns out, through the help of Google, that I learned that voice belonged to the lead singer of one of my favorite late 80s/early 90s pop groups, Or-N-More. Who would have guessed.

I think I'm going to get tickets for the Broadway Across America productions here in Orlando - and they are doing one of my favorites, "My Fair Lady" in December and "Wicked" in April. Kudos to MTV for doing something so groundbreaking!! In my opinion, more networks should think about partnering up with Broadway. In today's day and age, I think the younger generation might appreciate a good play (or three).
Sometimes musical theater takes you back. In my case, it was in more ways than one...

Labels: , ,


Posted by Lys :: 9:58 PM :: 2 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------